This plugin has been retired. It will no longer be supported or updated.
The Shiba Menubar plugin extends native WordPress custom menus so that you may add page trees, category trees, and archives. You may then render your menubar using a variety of drop-down menu scripts and skins.
August 3rd, 2012 – Release 1.2.2
- Updated for WordPress 3.4.
- Updated MooTools to 1.4.2.
- Added styles for Twenty Eleven.
Key Features of the Shiba Menubar Plugin
- Lets you add whole category, page, and archive trees to your native WordPress custom menus.
- Displays drop-down menus using a variety of menubar scripts including MenuMatic, Tinydropdown, and Sexydropdown.
- Easily apply different design skins to your drop-down menu through the Appearance >> Shiba Menus screen.
- Currently, the plugin only displays horizontal menus.
Drop-Down Menu Types
- Menumatic by greengeckodesign. [Menumatic Demo]
- Tinydropdown by Michael Leigeber.
- Sexydropdown by Soh Tanaka.
Create and Assign a Menubar
The menubar interface is just the standard Menus interface that comes with WordPress native (since 3.0).
- To create a menubar, go into Appearance >> Menus.
- Add in a menu name and hit the Create Menu button. This will create the menu object and now you may add elements to it.
- To add category, page, or archive trees simply go to the Custom Links menu and enter categories, pages, or achive as the URL. Also enter a Label of your choice.
- Once you are done, click on the Add to Menu button. This will add the archive tree to your menubar.
- Add other menubar elements. Once you are done remember to click on the Save Menu button to save your menubar.
- Now you may assign the menubar to your blog. There are two ways to achieve this:
- Theme Locations – Some themes provide special theme menubar locations. Often these areas are highly styled. If Theme Locations are supported, it will show up on the Theme Locations interface on the Appearance >> Menus screen. Just assign your new menubar using the Theme Locations interface and click on Save.
- Custom Menu Widget – WordPress native also comes with a Custom Menu Widget. You may also assign your menubar by dropping this widget in the proper widget area within your theme.
Theme Menubar Style
Most themes already have highly styled menubar areas. As a result, the plugin menubar may not display properly due to style collisions between theme and plugin.
Here is a simple trick to remove all theme CSS stylings so that the Shiba Menubar skins are properly applied –
In the code above, CSS stylings for the TwentyTen menubar are removed by reassigning the menubar div (#access) to something else (#new-access).
Here is an example of the TwentyTen theme using the Menumatic script and Black menubar skin.
The Shiba Menubar Plugin has inbuilt style conditions for the following themes (i.e., the plugin will work out of the box for the themes below) –
Other themes may require some tweaking.
- Enable the addition of partial trees.
- Add vertical menus.
- Set menubar entries to be fixed or variable width.
- Set menubar skin on a widget by widget level.
- Allow certain categories, pages, or archives to be excluded.
Shiba Menubar Plugin Updates
Shiba Menubar 1.2
February 26th, 2011
October 29th, 2010
- Added two new drop-down menu scripts – Tinydropdown and Sexydropdown.
- Added menubar skinning capabilities. You can now apply different skins to your menubar.
- Easily change menubar scripts and skins through the Appearance >> Shiba Menus screen.