This plugin has been retired. It will no longer be supported or updated.
This plugin automatically assigns thumbnails to posts using the Post Thumbnail Interface introduced in WordPress 2.9.
The plugin also has the ability to re-size post thumbnails.
June 18th, 2010 – Release 2.2
- Shiba Thumbnail Plugin is now updated for WordPress 3.0. It should work in 3.0 and 2.9+.
- Inserted class wrapper around plugin functions, and modularized functions into multiple classes so that it is cleaner and more secure.
- Shiba Thumbnail Plugin no longer uses proc_open to run the thumbnail generation process. It should now work across most hosting platforms.
Post thumbnails are assigned as follows –
- Nothing is changed if a post already has a thumbnail assigned.
- If a post does not have a thumbnail, the Shiba Thumbnail Plugin will get the first image within the post content and assign it as the post thumbnail. If the image does not exist in the Media Library, a new image will be created and added to the Media Library.
Thumbnails will only be generated when you request the plugin to do so by going into Posts >> Generate Thumbnails.
The plugin creates a background thread to generate the post thumbnails, so you can continue using your WordPress dashboard while it is working. However, depending on the total number of posts and pages on your blog, the thumbnail generation process may take some time to finish and will put added load on your blog server.
As a result, it may be best to regenerate thumbnails during a less busy time of the day.
During thumbnail generation, the Shiba Thumbnail Plugin will show a list of changes made by the plugin. To get the current status of the thumbnail generation process, at any particular time, go into Posts >> Generate Thumbnails. If you are already on that screen, just do a page refresh.
Below are a list of detailed features offered by the Shiba Thumbnail Plugin.
Shiba Thumbnail Plugin Features
- Automatically assign post thumbnails.
- Re-size post thumbnails. This is most useful when you install a new theme that has different post thumbnail size requirements.
- Clean-up post thumbnails when an attachment image is deleted. Specifically, the plugin will delete any post-thumbnails associated with the deleted attachment.
- Automatically assign post thumbnails to new posts and during post updates.
Shiba Thumbnail Future Additions
- The Shiba Thumbnail Plugin will try to automatically assign thumbnails to posts that do not already have associated thumbnails. We may want to allow the creation of posts that are not linked with any thumbnails.
- Process post galleries while looking for a thumbnail image in a post.
- Add thumbnails to gallery type objects (created with Media Library Plugin).
- Integrate post thumbnail functionality into Media Library Plugin.
Note – The Shiba Thumbnail Plugin is free software and may contain bugs. Please make sure you have back-ups of all attachment files to ensure no loss of data.
Shiba Thumbnail Updates
Shiba Thumbnail 2.1
- The test for an existing thumbnail image has been significantly enhanced, so duplicate thumbnail attachments will no longer be created.
- We now process relative path images as well as absolute path images.
- All newly generated thumbnail attachments are now appended with ‘[shiba_thumb]’ so that you can easily locate all of the added files.
- Finally, image files are tested to see if they exist before resizing operations.